Monday, November 23, 2015

Acidic Advertising

I am minoring in Advertising here at Washburn University for multiple reasons. One of those reasons is to hopefully make a positive impact on the way we sell products. We all know that sex sells. But what about those questionable "sexy" advertisements promoting rape culture, body-shaming, and more that we see plastered up on billboards? Let's take a look.
This woman is clearly being held down, her body language and face suggesting that it's against her will. The other men in the shot are lingering over, watching and waiting their turn in this disturbing image.



As seen (and criticized) on New York City subways, this particular body-shaming ad puts a price on "perfection." Basically, according to this company, you should not feel beautiful in a bikini or swimsuit unless you look like this woman. Body-shaming at its worst.


Just think about what these harsh messages are doing to the young, impressionable kids of this country and others alike. Teaching them insecurity and exposing them to sexual violence from the moment their minds process these sort of ideals is unhealthy and wrong. From low self-esteem to unhealthy opinions on reationships and sex, these photos are doing nothing but further corrupting our already-damaged society.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that picture says so much I agree it is very disturbing like why show 5 guys and a female half naked while she is against her will? just to sell a pair of glasses? I think the whole sex sells approach is being taken to far today

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honestly disgusted with the current state of advertising. And to answer the question, no I am not beach body ready.

    ReplyDelete