This is a
subject near and dear to my heart. Feminism is what I live and breathe, but
this post is about something slightly different. We're talking about the
"Meninism" craze today. First of all, that awful name. The pure
thought that one cannot support women's rights (or equal rights in general)
without putting a male pronoun with it defeats the purpose of feminism. The
word's feminine roots are the whole point. If you can't do anything without
making it about your male-ness, you probably don't have the best intentions
while becoming part of a women's rights movement.
Second, that Meninist Twitter account puts all seemingly good intentions to
rest. With its tweets making light of domestic violence, sex-shaming,
unwarranted sexualization of women's bodies, and just-plain mocking feminists
in general, this account and "movement" is poison. We would love for
men, women, and others to join up in the feminist cause, but not on their own derogatory
terms.
Third, we had a
hashtag starting up not too long ago- after the fatal Santa Barbara university
campus shooting, in which a male student shot females for turning him down on
dates. This sparked an internet revolution, #YesAllWomen.
The hashtag as designed for women to share their stories and bond over our
mutual experiences involving male harassment. Fueling the hate-fire against
feminism, "meninists" created their own hashtag, #NotAllMen. Which is, again, turning
something from being about women into being about men. The truth is, all women
have experienced some sort of injustice (catcalling, rape, fear of walking down
the street, pay gaps, etcetera) simply for their gender. It was not meant to
call all men disgusting pigs, but to show the world how discerning it is to be
female in a male-dominated society.
Your hope was fulfilled! Very educational! (I love the quote)
ReplyDeleteYour hope was fulfilled! Very educational! (I love the quote)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I could post something that educated even one person. I find the quote to be inspiring!
DeleteI saw this as a tweet with the #YesAllWomen, but it is something that I learned when I was in high school as well. If you are being raped, people are more likely to respond and help if you yell "Fire" than if you yell "Rape." How ridiculous is that? That really means that if I am in a dangerous situation, it is better for me to lie to get help. How did we, as a society, get so desensitized that we don't even respond to somebody yelling "Rape?"
ReplyDeleteVery educational blog Shelby and love the quote ""Don't allow the world to define your greatness, for most of this world is blind."
ReplyDelete