Let's take a minute to review all the things that some non-millennial adults in today's world seem to think of us. Impolite, selfish ("The Selfie Generation"), and no respect for authority. I know some of us embody all of these qualities, but certainly not all. The kids of this generation are some of the bravest, hard-working, and intelligent people I have ever encountered. We are strong and don't scare easily.
Impolite. A
word I have heard over and over again spoken about young people these days.
However, I have yet to experience more than a handful rude encounters with
people my age. I have, however, experienced impolite actions from the Baby
Boomers in far more situations. We may have our phones in our faces most of the
time, but we never miss a single "Please," "Thank you," or
"Pardon me."
Growing up with
technology at your fingertips can change everything about how we view our
world. Sure, the invention of Twitter and Facebook may have tweaked up everyone's
sense of self-awareness; but it also banded us together, for the first time,
people from across the globe could relate to each other in their happiest or
most difficult of times. Are you a LGBTQ society member who feels isolated in
your hometown? There are people out there who understand and can help you
conquer the seemingly everlasting struggles. So yes, we may enjoy taking photos
of ourselves more than necessary, but at least we are self-loving as a majority
instead of the opposite.
I personally
have a high respect for police officers and other law enforcement agencies, but
fight any way I can to diminish the inherently violent and racist system of
injustice that many Americans face daily; which includes police force
corruption. This "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" machine the force
has become today is not okay. We millennials are tired of facing and witnessing
racial and violent injustice, and we're rising up.
I have been a waitress for about six years and in my experience, 20-something's typically tip better than older people. For some reason, the more money people have, the less they feel they need to tip, which is really frustrating. I know you worked hard for your money and all that stuff, but this is what I am doing for my money, and believe it or not, $3.25 per hour is not enough to live on.
ReplyDelete