Sunday, September 13, 2015

Small Steps

Source

      
     Today, many women are judged simply for exercising their rights as human beings. For example: Having sex, not having children, dressing freely, and working in provocative fields (stripping, etcetera). Society has always promoted the ridicule of female freedom, popularizing derogatory terms to describe their behaviors. Recently, a song was released by Usher to sort of soften closed-minded views on this subjects. "I Don't Mind" featuring Juicy J, released earlier this year, surfed radio waves on just about every contemporary channel you chose.

     Throughout the tune, Usher describes his relationship with a stripper whom he met in a nightclub. He croons his approval of her activities, even saying that he doesn't have the right to comment about the profession- since it's the whole reason he met her. While this type of song is a small step towards acceptance of women's rights, it's also a catch-22. By saying that her profession doesn't qualify her as being a "ho," this still negates that certain activities can lead to a woman being branded a "ho." Another thought the song raises is women needing approval from men to exercise their basic rights. "I don't mind," he says. Well, we do not need permission from a significant other or male to continue on with our existence without harmful labels.

     So, while a semi-great achievement for non-bullying, we are not quite there yet. I do appreciate the rise in the male music industry being able to respect women instead of exploiting them in lyrics.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. I hate how music these days degrades women. Even the female artists do it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. I hate how music these days degrades women. Even the female artists do it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually an interesting topic for discussion that I will continue in a future post. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this post in general I think our society is going in the wrong direction when women are being degraded

    ReplyDelete